A Global Genealogy Economy - Or Not (Update)

A quick lunch-break post, following on my post last week about a global genealogical economy, I thought I would update you on what I chose to do, and whether or not I am happy with the decision.

In the end, I renewed my World Heritage package on Ancestry.co.uk for AU$213.73 (including the foreign exchange fee on my credit card). This was a whopping AU$286.22 saving from renewing on Ancestry.com.au. Since I was saving so much, I thought I would also sign up for world access on Findmypast.com (which during their promotion only cost me another AU$59.55). So for AU$226.67 LESS than what Ancestry.com.au wanted to charge me to renew, I now have access to the records of the two largest players in the genealogical records market.

It is always worth shopping around - even with genealogy.

I am still getting used to the Findmypast.com interface and search methods, but I have already found a couple of additional records that augments my family history research. Indeed, I even sent a very embarrassing email to their support people asking why I couldn't access the UK military records, but it just turned out to be days of repeat user error (I kept accidentally filtering it to the US instead of the UK). Their response was very prompt (less than 12 hours, even with the time difference), and very polite and patient. Needless to say, I wrote a very apologetic and thankful email back.

I have been using Ancestry.com.au for years, and it was so nice to have full access back. I even found some new and exciting information about some ancestors, with whom I had hit a brick wall.

So, I am VERY happy with the savings I've made, especially considering I now have access to the records on Findmypast.com in addition to Ancestry.com.au for less money than I thought I was going to have to spend on my Ancestry renewal.

Labels: , ,